24 Hour Heartburn Relief and Protection with Just 1 Pill a Day
Nexium® 24HR: 24-hour protection from frequent heartburn1
Sustained relief for people with frequent heartburn
- Nexium® 24HR is a new OTC proton-pump inhibitor (PPI) that provides continuous, 24-hour heartburn protection.
- Nexium® 24HR inhibits the proton pump. This pump is found in the cells in the stomach lining that make the gastric acid.
- Nexium® 24HR will start to work within a few hours. Some people may feel the benefits that day or by the evening1. Some may need to take Nexium® 24HR for a few days for full effect.
- Binds to proton pumps in parietal cells to block secretion of stomach acid
- Does not stop food being digested in the normal way.
Other types of heartburn treatments fall short of providing lasting relief frequent sufferers want1
|Antacids3,9||Alginates3||H2 blockers||Nexium® 24HR|
|Duration of action||Up to 3 hours||Up to 4 hours||12-24 hours||24 hours|
|Dosing||Multiple daily doses - In response to flare-ups||Multiple daily doses - In response to flare-ups||1-2 times a day||1 daily dose|
|Neutralise acid||Form a protective raft at the top of stomach contents||Block one of the three signals that stimulate acid production||Inhibits the proton pump that releases acid thus protecting from all three acid production signals|
|Key benefit||Quick relief of symptoms||Quick relief of symptoms.||Take 30 mins to start working. Provides relief that lasts for 12 hours-24 hours.||Continuous 24-hour protection from heartburn1.|
With just one tablet a day:
Nexium® 24HR effectively controls frequent heartburn
- 8 out of 10 frequent heartburn sufferers who have taken Nexium® 24HR reported first resolution* of their heartburn within the first week of treatment1
- A significantly higher proportion of frequent heartburn sufferers receiving Nexium® 24HR 20 mg compared to placebo group reported complete resolution of heartburn** at week 1 and week 21.
Nexium® 24HR delivers 24-hour protection from heartburn1
Nexium® 24HR helps improve quality of life
Nexium® 24HR is an appropriate first line treatment for frequent heartburn
PSA guidance5 supports PPIs as first line treatment for frequent heartburn
Frequent heartburn sufferers self-select and treat appropriately
In a study of actual OTC PPI use, consumers8:
Accurately self-selected for treatment
- 81% met all the criteria# for appropriate self-selection
- 90-100% correctly determined the appropriate study medication for each individual criterion
Complied with the proper regimen
- Only 3% took more than 14 doses without consulting a doctor
Appropriately sought doctor involvement for longer-term management of frequent heartburn
- 75% contacted their doctor about heartburn before, during or soon after the trial.
#Frequent heartburn (i.e. 2 or more days a week), 18 years of age or older, not pregnant or nursing, not allergic to active substance, no contraindicated symptoms and no contraindicated medications.
Esomeprazole has a well-established safety profile
For complete safety information,
please refer to the Product Information.
Nexium® 24HR is most commonly associated (between 1 in 10 and 1 in 100) with minor adverse reactions such as headache, abdominal pain, diarrhoea,constipation, nausea, flatulence and vomiting.
Nexium® 24HR is well tolerated. No dose-related adverse reactions have been identified.
Hypersensitivity to esomeprazole, substituted benzimidazoles or to any of the excipients. Nexium® 24HR like other proton pump inhibitors should not be administered with atazanavir or cilostazol. Nexium® 24HR is contraindicated in patients taking cilostazol.
Special warnings and precautions for use
Patients should be instructed to consult a doctor if:
- They have significant unintentional weight loss, recurrent vomiting, dysphagia, haematemesis or melaena and when gastric ulcer is suspected or present, malignancy should be excluded as treatment with esomeprazole may alleviate symptoms and delay diagnosis
Interactions with other medications
An interaction is observed between Nexium® 24HR and clopidogrel.Based on these data concomitant use of esomeprazole and clopidogrel should be avoided.
Esomeprazole has also been reported to interact with the following medications:
- Oral ketoconazole and itraconazole
- Voriconazole and clarithromycin
- Oral Erlotinib
- Antiretroviral drugs such as atazanavir
- Citalopram, imipramine or clomipramine
- St. John’s wort
People who take any of these medications should be advised to consult with their doctor before starting Nexium® 24HR
How to take Nexium® 24HR
For complete dosage and administration information,
please refer to the Product Information
- One 20 mg Nexium® 24HR tablet per day taken at the same time every day.
- Take with a glass of water.
- The tablets should not be chewed or crushed.
Recommended duration of use
- Nexium® 24HR should be taken for at least 7 days and up to 14 days
- Should not be taken for more than 14 days unless directed by the doctors. If symptoms persist or worsen while taking Nexium® 24HR, or if symptoms recur within 2 weeks of completing the course, patients should be referred to their doctor.
Nexium® 24HR can be given without the need for dose adjustment to:
- Those with renal impairment^
- Those with hepatic impairment^^
- Elderly individuals.
^ Due to limited experience in patients with severe renal insufficiency, such patients should be treated with caution.
^^Patients with severe liver impairment should be advised by a doctor before taking Nexium® 24HR.
Warning Symptoms (Red Flag Symptoms)
Rarely, more serious medical problems may cause heartburn. For this reason, patients should contact their doctor immediately if they notice any of the following:
- Pain or indigestion during treatment with Nexium® 24HR
- Passing black (blood-stained) motions.
- Vomiting blood or food
Use with antacids/alginates5
- Antacids or alginates may be taken as required with Nexium® 24HR for immediate relief
- As with all PPIs, Nexium® 24HR may need to be taken for a few days before experiencing the full effect.